Windows Media Manager
Media Manager for Windows
Media Manager software allows you to download a book, play it on your computer, and transfer to a supported device. Media Manager takes care of all audiobook format worries for you, so it is not necessary to consider whether an audiobook is MP3 or WMA format before checking it out. Below you will find our collected information on how to use Media Manager. If you are experiencing an error, please contact us or see the Digital Help page.
Compatible: Windows 7, Vista, and XP (Service Pack 3). Media Manager can currently transfer all book types to the devices listed here. For devices not on this list, try the workaround published at the end of the page.
Current Version: 126.96.36.199, released August 1, 2012.
These show an older version and will be updated soon. Changes are not extensive and mostly cosmetic, so the checkout/download process is the same.
- Getting Started
- Software Overview
- Recommended Settings
- Download & Transfer a Book
- Workaround for Devices not on Compatibility List
1. Download and install the OneClick Media Manager for Windows (if you have not already). Find the download buttons here.
2. When installation is complete, look for the OneClickdigital Media Manager icon on your desktop. Double-click on the icon to start Media Manager. It looks like this:
3. Log in to the Media Manager with the same username and password you used on the OneClickdigital website.
Forgot your username or password? See the help file on this. Do not have a username or password? Learn how to register here.
This is OneClickDigital's Media Manager for Windows. In this section we will go over the different areas of Media Manager.
Points of Interest
- Media Manager's menus
- Online status--click the green dot to go into offline mode if you have already downloaded your books.
- Refresh forces Media Manager to immediately check your online account for changes (new checkouts, etc).
- Website links--Browse Website or the Search box (a quick simple search). Both features will pull up the OneClickdigital page, and will log you in! Browse will take you to the homepage, Search will bring up a page with the list of results.
- Main contols for listening to a book (play, stop, volume, etc).
- Playing status area shows what chapter you are on in the book and the progress through the section.
- Advanced controls for listening to a book. Chapter allows you to select a specific chapter to play. Speed allows you to slow down or speed up the playback of the recording for your own listening preferences.
- Tabs for seeing books on your account. Checked Out, Holds, Wishlist, and History are described separately below.
- Version number of your Media Manager. If you need assitance with Media Manager, support will need this number. They will need to make sure your problem is not due to missing an update to the software.
Checked Out Tab
This tab will always show you all of the books that are currently checked out on your account.
Each book has 4 main control buttons, a summary, and will always tell you how much longer you have the book.
- Play is the best way to start a book playing.
- Renew allows you to renew the book if no one else is waiting for the book (the renew button will either be absent or unclickable if you cannot renew).
- Download & Transfer or Transfer button initiate transfer to a device. Download & Transfer will show if the book has not yet downloaded to your computer (it will perform both). Transfer will be your option if you have already downloaded the book to your computer.
- Return Now allows you to return a book early. Please always do this when you are finished with the book, someone else may be waiting on it!
View all of your holds direct in Media Manager. Holds can also be removed from this tab.
This tab shows all books you have added to your wishlist. Wishlist is a temporary space. Add books to your wishlist while browsing, then check them out or put them on hold when you are finished browsing. Books on the wishlist will delete after 90 days.
Shows all of the books you have checked out, from most recent to oldest.
Windows Media Manager often needs to have the preferences adjusted in order to provide the best experience.
To Set Preferences:
1. Open Media Manager and log in.
2. Click the "Preferences" menu.
3. Set these as follows:
a. Automatically download all titles: NO (this stops Media Manager from re-downloading your books every time you log back in).
b. Allow iTunes/Apple Device Detection:
i. iPad/iPod/iPhone users: YES
ii. Any other device: NO
c. Default Media Type:
i. iPad/iPod/iPhone users: iTUNES
ii. Any other device: NO
d. Use MP3 format instead of WMA **Please note this is new, and we do not know the perfect settings yet for all devices--you may need to try both and see which yields the best results for your device.**
i. iPod/iPad/iPhone, devices that are not on the compatibility list yet: YES
ii. Sansa, Creative, and Walkman: NO
e. Transfer Wait Time Modifier....only change this if you are experiencing transfer difficulties. If that is the case, turn the number up to 60.
4. Click "Update" to save your changes!
Apple device users, make sure this is set too!
1. With iTunes open, plug in your Apple device.
2. Click on your device's name on the left side navigation under "Devices."
3. Device summary should now be seen. Scroll down to "Options."
4. Click the box in front of "manually manage music and videos" to turn this option on.
Missing where this option is? Here's a video on how to find it.
Check Out & Download a Book
1.When you have selected something to check out, set a number of days for checkout and then click "Checkout Now" on the book's page.
2. Your browser's download message appears. Select "Open." This should bring up your Media Manager. If it does not, open your Media Manager now and sign in.
3. Your book should now appear in the Checked Out area of Media Manager.
4. Now you may press Play to listen to the book, or proceed with the next section to transfer the book to a device. If you chose to play the book on your computer it will download track one of the book and begin playing. All other parts of the book will download as you listen. This is shown in the image below. Note that you have the opportunity to cancel the download to your computer at any time.
Transfer a Title to a Portable Device
1. Plug your device into the computer. Not sure if your device is compatible with Media Manager? See the list of devices here.
2. Click the "Download andTransfer" or "Transfer" button next to your title. If you have followed the Recommended Settings above, the book will now download to your computer and transfer to the device simultaneously. If you have selected different settings, you may need to wait for the download to your computer to finish before transferring the book.
3. Media Manager will search for and connect to your device. Sometimes this is so quick you barely notice. You may get a screen that says "Device Picker" if you have more than one device connected to the computer. Select the proper device if asked to do so.
4. Download begins. Do not close the white Download/Transfer popup message. This will stop the transfer. The green bar indicates the progress of the download.
5. When complete, you will receive a message that your transfer has completed.
6. Disconnect your device from the computer!
Media Manager can transfer to devices that are not on the compatibility list under certain circumstances. OneClick is getting closer all of the time to fully compatibility with most MP3 players.
To try this you must have:
- Windows Vista or 7 (sorry XP users)
- Installed the newest version of Media Manager for Windows
- Check out only DRM Free/ DRM Not Protected Books (these are MP3 format books).
This video shows you how to find DRM Free Books.
Librarians have been testing this--so far no one has found a device that this does not work for. We have been able to transfer to ereaders, including the Kindle.