Kansas Interlibrary Loan Statistics Reporting Guidelines
The following guidelines are intended to clarify the hows and wherefores of reporting interlibrary loan statistics to the State Library.
- Statistics are collected on an annual, calendar year (January--December) basis.
- Libraries whose operating year is other than a calendar year (schools and academics, for example) may submit two semi-annual reports (July--December and January--June), if they wish, as long as the reports are clearly marked with the time period covered.
- Public libraries will submit their ILL Annual Activity Report along with their Kansas Public Library Service Surveys; all other libraries should fill out the online form before February 1.
- Statistics are collected from all public and academic libraries and from school and special libraries that meet at least one of the following criteria:
- are members of OCLC and/or KICNET
- receive ILDP or other grants from the State Library
- sign the KIC Membership Agreement
- Libraries that share common governance (such as county libraries with branches, or school libraries within the same district) should submit statistics as follows:
- If ILL is handled through a central location (such as a district media center), one report for the entire group should be sent. Transactions between individual libraries within the group do not count as ILL.
- If each library handles their own ILL, each should submit a report, but should not include transactions with other libraries within the group.
- Rental transactions (such as through Heritage Quest) should not be counted as ILL. Rule of thumb: if the request is made via a standard ILL mechanism (ALA forms, OCLC, or KICNET) it is an ILL; if the lending agency uses something else, the transaction is not an ILL.
- Requests for multiple copies of a single title for book clubs should be counted per request, not per item received. If you order a multi-copy set from a single library, count one transaction. If you have to submit multiple requests to get the number of copies needed, count each request as a transaction.
- Bulk loans (such as rotating collections from a regional system) do not count as ILL.
If you have any questions about how to count or submit your ILL statistics, please contact Rhonda Machlan at email@example.com or call 800/432-3919.