Kansas Notable Books Program Information
How to Submit a Book
How to Submit or Recommend Books to the Kansas Notable Books Committee
Every year up to 15 books highlighting Kansas people, places, and events are highlighted on the Kansas Notable Books list.
To be considered for selection, books must:
- Be either about or set in Kansas or written by a Kansan,
- Be of high quality in research and writing, and have strong current interest or wide audience appeal,
- Be published in the calendar year prior to the award year. Revised editions and updates of previously published works are not eligible. (For instance, books published/copyrighted 2014 are considered for the 2015 awards)
- Be received early enough for complete review by the committee. Early submission is encouraged. Due to the amount of time necessary to consider each title, the committee may not have sufficient time to review books received after January 31. Advance review copies will be accepted.
There are no additional requirements, application fees, or other restrictions for submissions, nominations, or recommendations to the selection committee. All genres are accepted from non-fiction to fiction to poetry, from children to adult titles. Any publisher, author, or interested person who wishes to submit books or titles for review is encouraged to do so. There is no limit on the number of titles accepted from any publisher or author, except that no pre-publication manuscripts will be accepted. Submission does not guarantee a place on the awards list.
Please make every effort to ensure that we get your book for review as early as possible so that the committee has a chance to review books thoroughly. An email will be sent to notify the authors and publishers of any book selected for the awards in early June. Only authors awarded a place on the list will be notified of the results. All others will need to check the website in mid-June.
The Kansas Notable Books award program is promoted statewide to all Kansas libraries and booksellers, who are encouraged to highlight the selections throughout the year. The publicity often leads to increased book sales, requests for author appearances, and book signings.
Enter your contact information here, then submit books for consideration to:
Kansas Notable Books
c/o Wulf Roby, Coordinator
State Library of Kansas
300 SW 10th Ave Rm 312-N
Topeka KS 66612
If possible, please send a copy or two to facilitate review by the committee.
Or, email the title, author and publication information to email@example.com.
For questions or more information, contact the Kansas Notable Books Coordinator Wulf Roby at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 785-296-3689.
DISCLAIMER: The State Library of Kansas is pleased to accept your submission to the Kansas Notable Books program. All review copies become the property of the Library, and unless otherwise notified, the library may donate books not selected to other libraries. Materials added to the Library will be integrated into the collection and standard circulation procedures will be followed.
How to Submit a Bookmark
Mail or Submit Your Entry for the SLK Art Contest
New for 2024, a state-wide Art Contest will be held across three categories: youth (K-12), adult (18+), and librarians.
To be considered, art must:
- be formatted in 2D to fit a 6x2 inch bookmark, in either landscape or portrait orientation.
- be submitted by a Kansan and attributed to the correct contest category.
- be the original artwork of the contestant, completed within 3 years.
- have contact information attached to the artwork, either on the template or in the file name. If submitting as a classroom or other youth group, please ensure guardians give consent for the identification of minor(s).
There are no fees to enter or participate. Artwork may be disqualified if deemed inappropriate for the public at the State Library's discretion. Only one submission per person is allowed. Submission does not guarantee display or use of artwork, however the State Library reserves the right to use any submitted artwork in promotion of the contest, Center for the Book, or other library programming. Materials physically submitted to the library will not be returned.
Ready to submit your entry online? Awesome! Attach your image as a JPEG, PNG or PDF file here!