Enki on Kindle Fire
Please note that this is a workaround, as the Amazon app store does not have a compatible ebook reader for library ebooks. The Aldiko Book Reader app is used for these instructions as it is a free, stable reader and there is a way for devices without the Google Play Store (like Kindle Fires) to download the app.
Check Out & Download a Book
Install & Set Up the App:
- Set your app to allow installation of apps from unknown sources:
- Go into the Settings for your device.
- Choose Applications.
- Turn on "Apps from Unknown Sources."
- Go to this page: http://slideme.org/application/aldiko and use the long, gray "Download" button listed below "Aldiko" - allow the download when prompted.
- When the file completes downloading, tap the notification and select "Install." It is now installing the SlideMe app manager.
- SlideMe app starts downloading the Aldiko app automatically. Allow any prompts to let the installation finish.
- Open or launch the Aldiko app for first use.
- Tap on the Aldiko menu (leaning books icon, top left corner), select "About."
- Choose "Adobe DRM" to set your Adobe ID. Adobe IDs are always an email address and a password you were allowed to create.
- Already have one? Enter it.
- Do not have one? Tap the "sign up" to create one now.
Check Out & Download a Book
This is how you will check out a book every single time.
- Go to the Enki Library website: http://ksl.enkilibrary.org/
- Log in with this information:
- Library Card Number: your Kansas Library eCard number.
- PIN/Password: in MMDDYYYY format. Example: If your birthdate is April 15, 1980, you would input 04151980.
- Search or browse for a book to check out. Tips:
- Keyword search works well to start a general browse with keywords like mystery or if you like vampires.
- After you search, there will be a bar at left showing similar subjects and other ways to limit a search.
- When you have found a book that you want, tap the "Checkout" button. You will receive a confirmation message and be taken to the My Account screen.
- Tap the "Download" button for the book.
- Your browser will want to know what to do with the file - confirm that it should send the book to Aldiko.
- Aldiko will open, and you will see it importing the book. When it is finished, you may begin using the book.
Use a Book in the App:
- Open a book: Tap the book in the Books section of the app. It will open to fill the screen.
- Turn a page: Tap the right margin to go forward in the book, tap the left margin to go back a page.
- Close a book: Tap the center of the book page. This pulls up a menu, tap the leaning books icon (top left) to exit.
- Change Reading Settings: Tap the center of the page, and settings will appear at the bottom:
- Arrow - Table of contents
- Sun/half dark circle - Toggle night/day mode.
- Tt - main settings for brightness, text size, margins. Tap "More" from here alter settings like background & text color.
Finished with a Book:Remove the book from the app by:
- In the Books section of the app, choose "Recent Reads."
- Tap the menu key (3 dots, right side) for the book you are finished with. Select:
- Return for a book that is not yet expired. This action even returns the book on your Enki account, so it is released for the next person to use.
- Delete for books that have passed their checkout date.
- Books check out for 21 days, and you may have 10 books at a time.
- Early return is encouraged to release the book to others. Please do this using the return option shown above (this also removes the book from your online account).
- Renewal feature is not available, but you can check a book out again if no one else was waiting on the book.
- Holds notes:
- To be notified when it is your turn for a hold, go to My Account -> Profile. Click "edit" to enter your email address.
- You have 3 days to check out a book when it is your turn. Available books can be checked out from the My Account page
- Use the "Postpone" feature to stop your holds from counting down while on vacation.