- Talking Books
- Summer Reading
Summer Reading 2023
Summer Reading 2023
All Together Now : Todos Juntos Ahora
May 29th - August 4th
Talking Books patrons of all ages are invited to unite in our love of reading with "All Together Now : Todos Juntos Ahora."
By registering for summer reading, you’ll be entered to win one of our weekly prizes. You must reach the reading goal specific to your age group to be eligible for our Grand Prize drawing. One grand prize will be awarded for each age group.
The reading goal for adults is 5 books read for the duration of the program. Youth patrons, ages 0-17, have a reading goal of 60 minutes per week.
Prizes are generously donated by the Kansas Advisory Council for Talking Books Services and we thank the council for their support.
To register for the summer reading program, please call us at 1-800-362-0699, email KTB@ks.gov, or fill out our online sign up form.
National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled (NLS) 2023 Summer Reading Virtual Events
Kansas Talking Books has always wanted to provide virtual programming for summer reading, and it's finally become a reality with the help of NLS! It is through the collabration of NLS and talking book librarians that a series of special virtual events for all ages, hosted by NLS and available to talking book library patrons nationwide. Events include author talks, a kickoff event, and a story time and music. These events will only be available live and will not be recorded.
Registration for these events is required. To register for the event(s), click the registration link. Fill out the requested information (name and email address) and click the "Register" button. If you need help registering for an event, please let us know and we'll assist you. All events will use Zoom.
Schedule of Events
- Kickoff event for all ages: Monday, June 26 at 3:00 pm
- featuring Dr. Carla Hayden, Librarian of Congress
- Registration link: https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_DI61uTmpSDenX0PhZoxtPw
- Author talk for adults: Thursday, June 29 at 6:00 pm
- featuring Shelby Van Pelt, Remarkably bright creatures DB 107924 / BR 24204
- Registration link: https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_xfOncQcKTRWgOOSGPijSuA
- Story time and music for K-3rd grades and older: Thursday, July 6 at 6:00 pm
- Registration link: https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_zfjvqgRgTKWpU7ohLMYXOw
- Author talk for middle grades and older: Tuesday, July 11 at 6:00 pm
- featuring Celia Perez, The first rule of punk DB 89161 / BR 24708 (in process)
- Author talk for K-5th grades and older: Saturday, July 22 at 12:00 pm
- featuring Annette Bay Pimentel and Jennifer Keelan-Chaffins, All the way to the top: how one girl's fight for American's with disabilities changed everything DB 104007 / BR 24705 (in process)
- Author talk for middle grades, young adults, and older: Thursday, July 27 at 6:00 pm
- featuring Kwame Alexander, The crossover DB 79528 / BR 24708 (in process)
- Author talk for young adults and older: Thursday, August 3 at 6:00 pm
- featuring Jenny Torres Sanchez, We are not from here DB 99474
This list of guests includes New York Times–bestselling authors as well as winners of Amazon’s Best Book of the Year, American Library Association’s (ALA) Best Fiction for Young Adults, the Newberry medal, Pura Belpré Author Honor, and ALA Schneider Family Book Award Young Children's Honor Book. All five of our Summer Reading Program author speakers have multiple books in the NLS collection in audio and braille.
Welcome to All Together Now : Todos Juntos Ahora!
Throughout the summer, become friends with the characters, people or books from each week's themed recommended book lists and unite in spreading friendship and kindness by completing any of the weekly activities posted here.
- Week 1: Love yourself: because kindness starts from within
- Week 2: Love without boundaries
- Week 3: A tail of friendship
- Week 4: United frontiers
- Week 5: Partners in crime...solving
- Week 6: Uncommon kindness: acts of kindness that changed history
- Week 7: Intergalatic connections
- Week 8: Familial bonds: families of blood, families of choice
- Week 9: Holding out, together
- Week 10: TBD
Weekly Reading Recommendations & Activities
- Week 1 Reading List - Love yourself because kindness comes from within [PDF]
- Week 1 Reading List - Love yourself because kindness comes from within [DOC]
- Week 1 Activity - Love Yourself [PDF]
- Week 1 Activity - Love Yourself [DOC]
- Week 2 Reading List - Love without Boundaries [PDF]
- Week 2 Reading List - Love without Boundaries [DOC]
- Week 2 Activity - Love without boundaries [PDF]
- Week 2 Activity - Love without boundaries [DOC]