In the spring of 2012, the State Library of Kansas worked with several Kansas librarians to present an online program series called The Library as a Community Center.
This series addressed several questions:
- How can a library become absolutely necessary to high quality of life in the community?
- How can a library develop an active, interactive, and mutually rewarding relationship with the community?
- How can a library be regarded as an essential agency by the community leadership?
There were four programs in this series:
- The Conversation Business - Brenda Hough and Heather Braum, Northeast System, and Shannon Roy, State Library
- Going Social to Get Local: Engaging Your Community via Social Media - Susan Brown, Rachel Smalter Hall, and Jennifer Cook, Lawrence Public Library
- Engaging the Library in Community Planning - Eric Gustafson, Derby Public Library
- Collections and the Community - Marcia Allen, Manhattan Public Library, and Diana Weaver, Basehor Community Library