Posted on March 8, 2016 at 11:49 AM by Lianne Flax
This morning we hosted Kelly Chanay of the Department of Education for an informational webinar on the Summer Food Program. Libraries can be sponsors or locations for providing food to children during the summer.
Recording of the webinar
Slides from webinar
A few points:
- Any child ages 1-18 is eligible to receive food. There is no tracking of specific children, names, etc.
- Libraries are neutral places, and kids already congregate there!
- Don’t think your library can manage being a sponsor on its own? Check with your local school & food bank (Harvesters, 2nd Harvest, Kansas Food Bank) and become a new site for a current program.
- School librarians –ask your public library if they are a sponsor or location, so you can help promote program locations before kids leave for the summer.
- See the Summer Food Service Program page from: http://www.kn-eat.org/
Assistant Director, Child Nutrition & Wellness
Department of Education