A Special Session has been called and will begin on June 23rd. The Legislative Procedure Manual states “the Governor may call a special session if the legislature whenever the Governor believes it warranted.” They usually are called to address one or two important matters. This year, the governor has called a Special Session to address school finance.
Important things to know:
- There is no specific time limit on a Special Session, but they typically take 2 to 3 days.
- New bill numbers will be introduced. It is possible that the subject matter of a previous bill could come up, but the bill number will be different.
- Even though the Special Session is called to address school finance, other topics can come up.
- Legislators will not have office staff to answer questions and take messages.
- During Special Session, the legislators are not allowed to accept campaign contributions.
If you have any questions, please contact the State Library’s Legislative Hotline at 1-800-432-3924
Special Sessions are permitted by the Kansas Constitution under Article One, Section 5:
State Library of Kansas Reference
Legislative Hotline: 1-800-432-3924